V8 Stock Car Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CHEAPEST CARS TO RACE ON OVAL TRACKS

+2
Harris Racing #32
keefy260
6 posters

Go down

CHEAPEST CARS TO RACE ON OVAL TRACKS  Empty CHEAPEST CARS TO RACE ON OVAL TRACKS

Post  pikey pete Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:44 pm

I HAVE RACED LOADS OF DIFFANTS CARS .ON OVAL TRACKS .I CAN HONSELY SAY THEASE V8S ARE THE FASTEST THE CHEAPEST EASY TO WORK ON AND RUN .WHY IS EVEYONE SELLING UP .ITS THE WHOLE PART OF TAKING PART IN A RACE CAR THAT GIVE ME THE BUZZ DONT MATTER TO ME IF I  WIN OR LOSE AS LONG AS IM OUT THERE .SO WHATS GOING ON WITH YOU LOT WITH CARS SITTING READY TO GO ..AND WITH ALL THE ONES FOR SALE .A PARKED CAR NOT WORTH AS MUCH AS ONE GOING ROUND A TRACK PLUS THERE ALL TO DEAR ANYWAY

pikey pete

Back to top Go down

CHEAPEST CARS TO RACE ON OVAL TRACKS  Empty Re: CHEAPEST CARS TO RACE ON OVAL TRACKS

Post  bobdernob2 Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:22 am

That's a good point mate , I cant understand why more people down south don't want to race in v8s?
I think there are a few reasons , they think the American engines are expensive , and don't realise how cheap and easy to get parts it actually is.
.Anything with more than 4 cylinders scares the pants off them!(only joking...but then again lol).
The hire cars in time will attract more drivers , so its great that there are a few to call on now.
Hopefully at least a couple who have cars advertised will have a change of heart as like you say there is nothing out there apart from f1 that comes close to the feeling of on the ragged edge with loads more power left, instead of flat out and turn right repeat.
We have to keep plugging away trying to convince folk of how great the v8s are.
See you at Arlington, still got to book that day off from work, oops may have to be a sicky lol.

Rob2

bobdernob2

Back to top Go down

CHEAPEST CARS TO RACE ON OVAL TRACKS  Empty Re: CHEAPEST CARS TO RACE ON OVAL TRACKS

Post  greatdane35 Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:48 am

hi chaps,poss my car will be sold this weekend to hopefully hit the tracks again soon,i am going in for my operation on the 8th july,this is to help my right hand work correctly again,but involves amputation of the little finger also,i am going to be out of action for awhile hence why i decided it was best the car was sold,im losing money big time,but i hope my compo will sort this out in time,but i am going to race again but i will go hire car route if there are any to rent when im ready again,i would like to be out wimbo time but will have to see how the hand holds up,i wont see you around the tracks as very skint as now out of work,but the future looks better for me,keep the v8s going ,regards bruce

greatdane35

Back to top Go down

Post  keefy260 Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:26 am

Excuse the pun Bruce, but "fingers crossed" for you and it all works out in the end.
Just what has happened to this class in the last few months? Asked for an Ipswich, got that, then ever since the turn outs
have been shocking. Is there something wrong with the rules? From an outsiders point of view it seems a lot of drivers
just want to say they've "got an F1", there must be 25-30 cars just laid up, surely if you loved the formula you'd rather
see the cars racing than rusting?
Fair play to those who are turning out or lending cars, but someone needs to "gee up" the rest, a twenty car grid would get people
buzzing again, rather than drivers with cars laid up just going to Coventry to watch.

keefy260

Back to top Go down

Post  greatdane35 Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:20 am

wow ,keefy on here,we are honoured,perhaps you would like an outing in my one if she dont sell?it would be real good to see you out there as you are a bloody good driver,the car is all ready,perhaps we can sort out a test in her for you if you want

greatdane35

Back to top Go down

Post  pikey pete Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:13 am

COME ON KEEFY SHAL WE BOOK YOU IN 1 JULY .BE LIKE OLD DAYS
YOU ARE 100% RIGHT .LOADS OF CARS TO START THEN NONE .IT IS SUCH A CHEAP CARS TO RACE .CARNT SEE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS .IS IT SORE LOOSER .LACK OF MEETING WHO KNOW .I RACE MINE THEN THOW IN THE TRUCK THATS IT TILL NEXT MEETING .LUCKY IF I CHARGE THE BATTREYS

pikey pete

Back to top Go down

Post  greatdane35 Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:12 pm

hope keefey dont think im being sarcastic with my last post?,but he is a fantastic driver and i reckon he would be real handy in a f1,they are a brill formula,and i must admit i dont understand why they are not more popular,i think the biggest downfall with them and i really do think the tyres need sorting out/changing as they are far too expensive,dont last at all,need a new set every meet to stay on the pace,at £80 a pop,they make a cheap formula very expensive,tyres need to be about £30 each,thats £90 still a meet,as to £240 a go,not everyone has bigbucks to throw at tyres,and would even it up a bit more,

greatdane35

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:37 am

I agree tyres are the biggest expense.

Back to top Go down

Post  keefy260 Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:36 am

From an outsiders point of view obviously the current rules don't work, as if they did, the grids would be full.
Perhaps some really drastic idea's need to be discussed, the class has limped on for years, since Formula 80's.
You get told that engines are not expensive and parts are easily available, then when you ask drivers why
they are not racing they tell you they can't get bits or afford them!
If it was me running the class I'd split the cars into Class A, current spec, and Class B which would be any engine 6 cyl and over,
any size steel wheels/tyres  but this class wouldn't get  points, then those drivers who just want a skid round on the cheap
could do just that. Those half a dozen or so who want to take their racing seriously could blast round them. Bottom line is basically
more cars are needed on track and when I'm watching I couldn't care if driver A has the latest stuff from the states or if driver
B has some old scrap engine out of a jaguar running on a mixture of rubber.
I don't want to upset anyone, just want to see a decent amount of cars on track, and yes I'd love a go!

keefy260

Back to top Go down

Post  greatdane35 Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:52 am

Keefey,you are the one racer out there with the ideas to sort out things,you have been very good with the bangers/back to basics,and your best thing ever was fleet bangers,they were the bollocks,got loads and loads of racers out there on track,perhaps you could come up with some ideas for the formula,i know you aint raced them,but youve got great ideas for getting cars on track before,the tyres are the biggest downfall of the formula,i know there are big buck engines etc,but when it rains or is slippery like wimbo,then it means nothing,there are lots of chassis out there,and plenty of jag lumps which put out good power and are super tough too,perhaps a 2 tier system,bit like privateer status might be good,for the lower power.crud tyre cars,as pete faggy says ,we really do need a drivers meeting/review of rules,now ive lost my job earning 50k plus a year i for the first time am struggling to even spend anything on racing,and before i would spend what was needed,as you know i spent on cars for the national bangers for my son,if the tyres /engines could be sorted it would be a winner.yeas have the big spec/engine/tyre bit,but have a lower spec too,great idea,if we can sort a date out have a practise at aldershot in my car to try out

greatdane35

Back to top Go down

Post  Harris Racing #32 Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:15 pm

Hi all,

This is a message is sent on behalf of my father (Terry Harris #33)...

He has asked, if these Jaguar engines are 10 a penny please can someone let us know where we can buy a Jaguar Mk2 3.4 litre engine for a Jag 340. Good money will be paid.
Just to add, I have never put a complete new set of tyres on my car apart from the day I built it. You just need to manage them to get the best... That said, since I put my dads car back together he has been racing on an old set that I threw out and hasn't change a single tyre in the last 3 meetings! And keeps beating me...
My dad has said forget tyres and just learn to driver them, they are nothing like any other formula...

Regards Terry Harris.
Harris Racing #32
Harris Racing #32

Back to top Go down

Post  greatdane35 Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:34 pm

the jag engines are the aj6/aj16 lumps,all alloy in the xj40/xj300 series,complete cars available for 300 quid,we have 3 engines sat on the floor of yard,old xk engines are still out there,i got a complete xj6 last year with full history moted for 250 quid,that had a 72000 mile 4.2 lump in it,tyres on the stock cars,well your obviously happy with them,but still way to dear at 80 quid,just trying to make suggestions,im sure much cheaper tyres are available and just as good,dont really matter to me as if the cars not sold in my case it gets cut up,and engine used elsewhere,my compo will take care of any loss to me,but all i would like is to see the formula keep going,nobody wanted to buy my car even at 2600 quid,with no problems now,so prooving there is big issues with the formula,no one will commit now as they are convinced its down the tubes,there are the lexus v8 engines,bullitproof,only 4ltr,banger racers never use them as prefere the v6 in the car for room,i know im not a leading person in the formula but sometimes those on the outside notice the faults rather than those involved,keefy reynolds is a clever guy,and has been involved in racing a long time,he always comes up with ideas that keeps formulas going,and promoters often ask for his advice,ive known him a long time and he is a dedicated guy,it seems the few drivers in our lot just cant seem to gel on ideas to improve your/our lot,i really want to get back out in a hire car full season next year,i cant keep and run my own car now,but i really wanted to see the car race on,as ive spent shit loads on it,but hey ho if it has to go the way of the faggerters car did,its a real shame .and ive still got your g/box here daryl and you can have it free of charge,just got to get it to you at some point,

greatdane35

Back to top Go down

Post  Harris Racing #32 Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:40 pm

Bruce,

I never said we was happy with the tyres! They are very expensive....The problem is everyone mentions stuff but does cock all about it... In the military world where I come from, if you have a proposal or issue with something then the person with the idea will research the issue and bring all the solutions to the table... Biggest drama is where do you get a semi-decent 13" tyre?
What the formula needs long term is some positive backing from Spedeworth, i.e. A 3 year plan to incorporate improvement and changes along with some positive press! I don't want to say to much more on a public forum because once again it is not seen in a positive light...

Regards Daryl
Harris Racing #32
Harris Racing #32

Back to top Go down

Post  greatdane35 Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:48 pm

Hi Daryl,i can understand its very frustrating for you and your family after being involved in the v8s for so long and in a way keeping them going to this day,the thing i cant understand tho is why they are not more popular,they are fun to drive,sound fantastic,look so great,but whats the problem?,i dont think deane wants to see them die a death,as they are a epic sight /sound for the spectators,perhaps all they need is a small tweak here and there nothing drastic to get them back on track,cost is the big thing here as most drivers in any formula seem to plead poverty,bangers seem to be the odd one out as big bucks get spent on tyres,welding etc,but why the v8s suffer i dont know,as mentioned the aj6/aj16 engines are dirt cheap,are so easy to carb up and change the dizzy to normal xj6 its a doddle,we run them in our bangers on a differing set up of manifolds on su,pierburg and webber carbs and all develop lots of power and revs,wether they would fit a v8 chassis i dont know,tyres are a prob,why cant we run on the old avons again, at the end of the day spedeworth need to address the prob as well,or just let them die as a formula,
regards bruce

greatdane35

Back to top Go down

Post  pikey pete Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:10 am

I DONT SEE A PROBLEM WITH TYRES .LOADS OF 2ND HAND ONES ABOUT .AT £10 POUNDS EACH AND LESS . CARNT GET AVON ANYMORE BRUCE STOP MAKING THEM .
THE RULES ARE FAIR TO ALL I DONT SEE A PROBLEM WITH THEM APART FROM TRYING TO GET CHEAPER AND EARSER PART LIKE DOME TOP PISTON AND 202/160 HEADS THATS IT .

CARN.T SEE WHY YOUR NOT RACING T B H .BRUCE IT ONLY A FINGER . SEEN BROKEN HANDS AND DRIVERS WITH 1 ARM RACING .

PEPOLE KEEP GOING ON ABOUT CARS SETTING AROUND .BUT HOW MANY HAVE BEEN ON TRACK LAST YEAR AND NOT THIS YEAR NONE
WE HAD 19 AT BEGING AND NOW WHAT .MOSSY WITH 3 FOR SALE HOW MANY TAKERS OUT THERE ...£3000 THE LOT MY OFFER TO YOU BOYS [ALL 3 CARS }

WE I HAVE NEVER HAD NEW TYRES ON MY CARS .I RUN A STD 350 ENGINE WITH C F BOX .OLD TYRES AND HAVE FUN WHY DONT YOU LOT TRY IT AND STOP FANNYING ABOUT WITH NEW NEW NEW YOU CAN DO THE SAME WITH OLD GEAR THIS IS OUR HOBBY .IF YOU WANT TO RUN CHEAPER TYRES DONT BUY THEM THEN HE WILL HAVE TO DROP THE PRICE OR BU STUCK WITH THEM .RUN OLD THERE AS GOOD AND MORE FUN
I WAS TOLD LERAN TO DRIVE THE CAR AND YOU WILL ENJOY IT AS I AM TRYING I NOT THE FASTES BUT ALWAY SMILEING AS YOU ALL KNOW .WIN OR LOSE .GOOD OR BAD DONT WORRY ME .BUT THAT ME

NOW HOW MANY WE GOT FOR 1 JULY THAT WHAT WE SHOULD BE THINKING ABOUT .THEN 6 WEEKS OFF UNTILL THE NEXT MEETING WHICH IS TO LONG I THINK WE ALL KNOW WHAT TO DO SO LETS DO IT AND NOT TALK ABOUT IT .

A BIG THANK TO THE HARRIS .SCOTT .TURNERS BURTONS. MILES that who have helped me since I started in the v8s .they don't bite so why not ask for help if needed

pikey pete

pikey pete

Back to top Go down

Post  pikey pete Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:14 am

greatdane35 wrote:the jag engines are the aj6/aj16 lumps,all alloy in the xj40/xj300 series,complete cars available for 300 quid,we have 3 engines sat on the floor of yard,old xk engines are still out there,i got a complete xj6 last year with full history moted for 250 quid,that had a 72000 mile 4.2 lump in it,tyres on the stock cars,well your obviously happy with them,but still way to dear at 80 quid,just trying to make suggestions,im sure much cheaper tyres are available and just as good,dont really matter to me as if the cars not sold in my case it gets cut up,and engine used elsewhere,my compo will take care of any loss to me,but all i would like is to see the formula keep going,nobody wanted to buy my car even at 2600 quid,with no problems now,so prooving there is big issues with the formula,no one will commit now as they are convinced its down the tubes,there are the lexus v8 engines,bullitproof,only 4ltr,banger racers never use them as prefere the v6 in the car for room,i know im not a leading person in the formula but sometimes those on the outside notice the faults rather than those involved,keefy reynolds is a clever guy,and has been involved in racing a long time,he always comes up with ideas that keeps formulas going,and promoters often ask for his advice,ive known him a long time and he is a dedicated guy,it seems the few drivers in our lot just cant seem to gel on ideas to improve your/our lot,i really want to get back out in a hire car full season next year,i cant keep and run my own car now,but i really wanted to see the car race on,as ive spent shit loads on it,but hey ho if it has to go the way of the faggerters car did,its a real shame .and ive still got your g/box here daryl and you can have it free of charge,just got to get it to you at some point,

HEY BRUCE DARLY SAID WE CAN HAVE THE GEARBOX LLLLLOOOOOOLLOOLOOOLOL

pikey pete

Back to top Go down

Post  greatdane35 Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:41 am

Pete, as much as would like to race the car,at this moment in time and up till now i have been on epilepsy drugs to control the nerve damage in my hand/finger,plus the pain killers which have seriously slowed all my actions down,its like your drunk pretty much alot of the time,so not a good thing to be on track,plus i have no movement in the finger and reduced grip in my hand,plus the solicitor stated if i get caught racing then its case over for compensation,so what would you do?,plus im in for the finger to be removed on the 8thjuly,so game over at the moment,but i will race again,if not in my car,hopefully sold,then i will go rent a car,so either you or scotty will get a car fully booked for the whole season next year,if i had of done my hand at home or racing then you cobble on,but when your deliberatly set up to get injured and lose your job then things are very different,lots of love to you all

greatdane35

Back to top Go down

Post  pikey pete Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:37 am

WAS TRYING TO EGG YOU OUT I DIDN.T THINK IT WAS THAT BAD FOR YOU .NOW I CAN SEE WHY YOUR NOT OUT RACING GOOD LUCK IN THE OP M8 .

pikey pete

Back to top Go down

Post  bobdernob2 Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:57 am

Never thought about letting Jag engines in the v8s , is it a bad idea or would people run them then get a chev when ready or just stick to the jag , think its food for thought as f1 used to allow jags for a cheap way in?
I buy 1 new tyre every few months and now run Hoosiers all round as Yokis are well expensive now and should be knocked on the head in my opinion.
We also run a std 350 lump as you can hear lol. I feel these should be phased in as the smaller lumps are pure race engines and to me sound so expensive. Not immediately as it wouldn't be fair on those that presently have them.
Just my thoughts but I do like the jag option for newbies . or if cheaper for those who can or want to run them.

Rob2 ,  p s we get a bit of rear stagger by running a near bald one on the rear inside , before anyone asks.

See you at Arlington.

bobdernob2

Back to top Go down

Post  greatdane35 Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:24 am

hi rob,yes the jag lumps are pretty bullitproof,they are so easy to carb up,i have 2 different manifolds for them,respond so well to being carbed up,and dizzys are very easy to do,either a v6 ford converted,or a xjs one,then no rev limiter,and with a selection of engines,3.2,3.6 and 4.0ltr,you can easy and cheaply get a good 250+bhp,not on chevy power limits,butthey rev like a good un,and a very fast as we know in our bangers,still perhaps another time for them will come.hope your all ok,and will see you soon

greatdane35

Back to top Go down

Post  pikey pete Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:25 am

FORGET THE JAG ENGINES UNLESS THERE A V8 .WE CAN USE ROVER V8 ENGINES TO GET CARS OUT .CHEAP AND A BIT OF A TUNE AWAY YOU GO .LETS KEEP IT V8S RACING

pikey pete

Back to top Go down

Post  KeithOrgan449 Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:23 pm

So has anyone approached Spedeworth and said lets do something?

Lots of talk and ideas being batted around; but like always, someone needs to step up and owership. It's your formula at the end of the day.

I hope you have good numbers for Wednesday; i see 8 cars booked for a start.

Keith
KeithOrgan449
KeithOrgan449

http://ww.v8hotstox.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down